Form DS-2029 Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad

How to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and US passport at the US Embassy in Vietnam

A child born in Vietnam to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if the citizen parent meets certain transmission requirements.

The child’s parents could apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and U.S. passport at the U.S consulate in Ho Chi Minh City or the U.S Embassy in Hanoi.

What’s a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)?

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), also known as Form FS-240, is an official document of American citizenship for a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who can transmit citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA can be used in the U.S. in the same way as a birth certificate issued by a city or county registrar’s office

U.S. Consulate only issues a CRBA to children born abroad under the age of 18 at the time of the application.

>> Vietnamese: Làm giấy khai sinh và hộ chiếu Mỹ cho con ở Việt Nam

Eligibility for a CRBA

U.S. parent(s) can transmit his/her U.S. citizenship depends on:

  • At least one parent who has U.S nationality at the time of child’s birth
  • Blood relationship between US citizen parent(s) and the child
  • Proof that the parent has been present in the US prior to the child’s birth for at least 5 years from the age of 14

Some documents that can prove parent’s presence in the US:

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.
Consular Report of Birth Abroad

5 step to get a CRBA and U.S. passport in Vietnam

Step 1. Print the CRBA checklist and gather required documents

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA):

  • Unsigned, completed Form DS-2029
  • Child’s Birth Certificate
  • Evidence of parents’ U.S. citizenship
  • Passport for non-U.S. citizen parent
  • Parents’ marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Divorce and Annulment Decrees/Death Certificates (if applicable)
  • Evidence of physical presence in the United States
  • Evidence of parents’ concurrent physical presence in Vietnam or another country
  • Evidence of child’s birth and prenatal records
  • Evidence of Name Change

U.S. Passport:

  • Form DS-11
  • Photo of child
  • Signed and notarized Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent for Non-Present Parent)
  • Social Security Number Statement Form

Step 2. Complete the application forms:

  • DS-2029 for CRBA
  • DS-11 for U.S. passport

Step 3. For CRBA application in HCMC, send photocopies of your completed form and documents to US Consulate

Step 4. Wait for your appointment schedule via email

Step 5. Appear in the U.S. Consulate at 4 Le Duan St., District 1, HCMC or in the U.S Embassy at 7 Lang Ha St., Cho Dua Ward, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi

Why do you need an immigration agent to help you prepare your child’s CRBA and U.S. passport?

To avoid running into unnecessary trouble, it is a good idea to hire an immigrant agent when applying for your child’s CRBA and U.S. passport.

An agent will do the following task in order to make your case quickly:

  • Filling with forms
  • Avoid delay
  • Analise your eligibility
  • Prepare the complete set of complex forms
  • Quick results and fast processing


How much is the fee for a CRBA and U.S. passport?

The fee for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is $100
The fee for a child’s passport under 16 is $115; for those 16 and over, the fee is $145

How long does it take to get a Consular Report of Birth Abroad?

4 to 8 weeks 

How to get a Social Security Number for my child in Vietnam?

U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City doesn’t provide support services for the Social Security Administration (SSA). If you would like to get it for your child, send notarized documents to SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in the Philippines.

    Quý vị cần tư vấn định cư? Điền thông tin bên dưới, yêu cầu của Quý vị sẽ được xem xét và phản hồi nhanh chóng.

    Zalo Green Visa

    Tư vấn ngay? Gọi hotline


    08h00 - 22h00 hằng ngày

    Zalo Green Visa

    Similar Posts

    Notify of

    Inline Feedbacks
    View all comments